Vermicelli kheer can be a quick fix dessert to complete your any meal, for occasions or when you have unexpected guests to dine.Jump to Recipe
Kheer is a pudding, originating from Indian subcontinent made by boiling milk and sugar with one of the following : rice, wheat, vermicelli being few to name. It is then flavoured with cardamom and dry fruits.
In south India, kheer is known as payasa or payasam.
How to make vermicelli kheer | seviyan kheer recipe
About some ingredients –
- Vermicelli – I buy roasted, thin wheat vermicelli, and have used the same in this recipe. The advantage I find with this is, its perfectly roasted, which saves time. And my family finds thin vermicelli kheer more tastier than the regular one.
- Milk – Use full fat milk for the richness.
- Dry fruits – use generous amount of dry fruits because kids will love them.
- Saffron – gives sweet aroma in every spoon of kheer you eat. But using it is optional.
Step by step method –
1- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of ghee in a cooking pot in medium flame. To this add raisins and cashew nuts and fry till golden.
2- Once golden remove them and keep aside.
3- To the same ghee add vermicelli, and fry for two minutes in medium flame. Do not over fry them. And make sure the heat is medium else it will burn the vermicelli.
4- To this add 4 cups of milk.
5- Add saffron and stir well.
6- Simmer In medium flame till it bubbles.
7- Now add sugar and stir. Cook for another two minutes and put off the stove.
8- Add powdered cardamom, dry fruits and stir.
9- Garnish with dried rose petals and vermicelli kheer is ready to serve.
Do check our other dessert recipes –
- Moong dal payasam – south indian style dessert, prepared with split green gram cooked in coconut milk.
- Kesari bath | Rava kesari – super tasty sweet semolina pudding flavoured with saffron.
- Fruit custard – a rich fruit loaded dessert favourite among kids.
Vermicelli kheer | seviyan kheer
- 1 cup roasted vermicelli/seviyan (see Notes)
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- 7 tbsp sugar (see Notes)
- 3 cardamons husked & powdered
- 1 litre milk (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 7-8 strands of saffron (optional)
- Husk 3 cardamons. In motor pestle take the husked cardamon along with fat pinch of sugar and pound it to powder.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of ghee in a cooking pot in medium flame.
- To this add raisins and cashew nuts and fry till golden. Once golden remove them from ghee and keep aside.
- To the same ghee add vermicelli, and fry for two minutes in medium flame. Do not over fry them.
- To this add 4 cups of milk.
- Add saffron and stir well.
- Simmer in medium flame till it bubbles. Now add sugar and stir well.
- Cook for another two minutes and put off the stove.
- Add powdered cardamom, dry fruits and stir.
- Garnish with dried rose petals and vermicelli kheer is ready to serve.
- If not using roasted vermicelli, fry till it turns golden. But make sure to adjust the flame from medium to low, to avoid burning of vermicelli.
- Add more sugar if needed.