Tomato and onion salad – made with fresh and easily available ingredients, it is colourful, refreshing, delicious and can be prepared in no time. One of our family favourites.
In all our house hosted lunch or dinner, we always have some fresh vegetable or a fruit salad as a must dish in menu. The reason is, one it increases the number of dishes in menu and the second it just balances out all the heavy flavours perfectly with its freshness.
In UAE, no matter how big or small a restaurant, in a take out, home delivery or dine in, you are sure to be given with fresh box of simple salad. When we first moved here we were so amazed to see this.
My dad, when he visited us here was in awe when we saw an almost never ending array of the fresh salads in one of the buffet. The perks of being in a middle eastern country, there are so many fresh salads – delish. He developed an instant liking for tabbouleh. Even I love salads and this tomato and onion salad is one of my favourite.
Lets begin with tomato and onion salad
When tomatoes and onions are assembled and seasoned, its just so tasty, trust me individual plate will be re filled in no time with this tasty salad. So do prepare a big batch if planning to serve one. Goes very well with rice dishes, sea food and even with the fried items.
Tomatoes – choose plump, firm, red tomatoes. If needed you can remove the seeds. But I have kept them on in this recipe. I have used UAE local tomatoes, they are so beautiful- deep red, plump and tasty.
Green chillies – I’ve used Indian variety here. It was not spicy for our taste buds. It was minced very finely and sprinkled all over. But if you want to avoid, you can substitute it with chilli flakes or black pepper powder according to your taste.
Onion – I’ve used Indian red onion, but you can use the white onion instead.
Do try our other recipes –
- Kala chana chaat– Indian street style garbanzo beans salad.
- Indian style tomato salsa – do give a try.
- Charmuri – south indian street snack.
- Fruit custard – Mixed fruits served in creamy custard.
Tomato and onion salad recipe
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- 1/2 medium size red onion
- 1 indian green chilli minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro/ coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt to taste
- Wash the tomatoes under running water and wipe with clean kitchen towel.
- Peel the outer skin of onion.
- Cut it into thin circles.
- Separate each of them into single circle, and keep it aside.
- Now to assemble, start by placing the tomatoes in plate.
- Place onion upon them, by arranging the biggest circle outside and then the smaller ones.Thus placing three onion circles.
- Sprinkle minced green chilli all over the veggies.
- Now sprinkle salt.
- Drizzle olive oil all over them.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander all over the veggies.
- Finally drizzle lime juice over them.
- Salad Is ready to serve.
- In case you find green chillies spicy, skip them and add crushed black pepper powder.