South indian veg pulao recipe | vegetable pulao recipe – This recipe is a south indian style spicy vegetable pulao recipe where rice and vegetables are cooked with aromatic spices in a pressure cooker.
As I sit in front of my laptop, moving my fingers through keypad to complete this post on pulao recipe it makes me nostalgic. It takes me back to my school days.
Sharing food had been a ritual among friends during lunch break. Those were the days when we were more curious to know what friends mum had packed them in lunch box, than our own.
We took pride show casing our lunch boxes. Veg pulao was everyone’s favourite dish during our growing up days and it always held nose high of the one’s who brought it for lunch. Each box would bring different coloured pulav rice with unique taste. Colour varied from light green to yellow to white. But all colours were our absolute favourite.
Give a try to this south indian veg pulao recipe and serve it with cool raitha.
South indian veg pulao recipe | vegetable pulao recipe
Serves : 5 people
Preparation time : 30 + 15 mins
Cook time: 50 mins (cooking + cooling of pressure cooker)
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups water
3/4 cup cauliflower, chopped
1/2 soya chunks, soaked in water for 30 mins.
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup french beans, chopped
1/4 cup fresh green peas
1 medium size onion, sliced
1 medium size tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 whole green cardamom
1 inch cinnamon
1-2 bay leaves
1 -2 tbsp. oil
salt to taste
For wet paste
1 tbsp. oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 inch cinnamon
1 mace petal
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger
2 green chilies
1/4 cup tightly packed coriander leaves
3 tbsp. tightly packed, chopped mint/ pudina leaves
Step by step method
1. Wash rice couple of times til water runs clear. Soak it for 30 mins.
2. Clean and wash vegetables. Chop them and keep it ready.
3. In a pan heat 1 tbsp. of oil in medium flame. Fry spices under wet paste one by one for half a minute in same oil.
4. Grind coriander leaves, pudina leaves, green chili, ginger, garlic along with fried spices to a coarse paste.
5. Heat 1-2 tbsp. of oil in pressure cooker. Once oil is hot, add bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper. Fry till they are fragrant.
6. Add sliced onion and saute till translucent.
7. Add tomatoes and fry till they are soft and mushy.
8. Add ground wet paste and fry till raw smell disappears.
9. Add chopped vegetables and mix well.
10. Add rice. Mix well such that rice and vegetables are well coated with ground paste.
11. Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
12. Add 2 cups of water. Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook it in medium high flame for 3 whistles.
13. Once cooker is cooled open the lid.
14. Mix well.
1. Skip soya chunks, if you do not want to add it.
2. Adjust chilies as per your taste.