Sol kadhi recipe | how to make goan style sol kadhi – a popular drink in Goa and konkan region, prepared with solution of dried kokum petals (garcinia indica), fresh coconut milk and later tempered with indian spices.
Who does not like goan food?. I guess none. Their fish delicacies just makes me drooling, mere by thought of it. Since my In-laws are settled in Goa, I have the privilege of experiencing best of both the culinary worlds, i.e goan and mangalorean.
Now talking about goan food, however small or large their platter is, but it is always accompanied by a small bowl or glass of pinkish drink, tempered with spices, which is sol kadhi. It is prepared from coconut milk and kokum, also known as aamsol or aamsul. This drink is served at the end as it aids digestion.
Sol kadhi recipe | how to make goan style sol kadhi
Serves : 6 people
Preparation time : 2 hrs
Cook time : 5 mins
25 dried kokum petals
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
1 1/2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
5 garlic cloves, crushed
3 green chilies, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 spring of curry leaves
Step by step method
1. Soak kokum petals in 1 cup of water for about 2 hours.
2. Once soaked, squeeze the kokum petals and filter the extract.
3. Meanwhile, grind 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut smooth in grinder adding half cup water. Pour the ground contents to the strainer, squeeze and extract coconut milk. Keep this coconut milk separate.
4. Transfer the squeezed coconut to the grinder again, add 1 cup of water and pulse for 3 to 4 times. Again pour the contents to strainer and extract second batch of coconut milk. Mix kokum extract and both first and second batches of coconut milk. To this add salt to taste and mix it.
5. For tempering, heat 1 tbsp of oil in cooking pot/ wok. To this add mustard seeds, as mustard crackle add crushed garlic, chopped ginger, green chilies and curry leaves. Fry it for 1-2 mins and switch off the stove.
6. Pour kokum- coconut milk solution to the tempering. Garnish with coriander leaves.
7. Serve a glass of sol kadhi with rice, a veg side dish or fish curry/ fish fry, a royal goan spread.
1. For good pink colour, use best quality kokum petals.
2. If kokum extract is too concentrated for your taste, add cup of water to the kokum extract and mix well. Or extract third batch of coconut milk and mix it together with kokum – coconut milk solution.
3. To reduce the spice level, decrease the amount of green chilies.