Potato masala or aloo masala, a humble potato dish which is the hero in our super favourite masala dosa.Jump to Recipe
This is one such recipe which will never go wrong. This potato masala can be –
- placed inside dosa making masala dosa.
- can be paired with pooris and chapatis.
- can be used as a stuffing for aloo bonda ( south Indian deep fried fritters).
- also can be used in sandwich and rolls.
I use traditional pressure cooker method to cook the potatoes. Once you have the boiled potatoes, this recipe can be prepared in a jiffy.
I make this recipe every time with chapati’s, because my family loves this combo. I can also guarantee that this stuffing for masala dosa is even better than the restaurant one.
Lets begin with Potato masala recipe
1- Wash 2 medium size potatoes and pat dry. Then add these potato’s along with 2.5 cups of water to pressure cooker and cook it medium flame for 5 whistles. You can boil potatoes in cooking pot too adding sufficient water.
2- Once the pressure is released completely, open the pressure cooker. Remove the potatoes and peel off the potato skin, once they are warm to touch. Mash them roughly and keep it aside.
3- Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan, keeping heat medium. To this add mustard seeds. As they crackle add chana dal and urad dal. Fry till the dal turn golden.
4- Now add onion. Fry them for 1-2 mins. Then add chopped ginger and crushed garlic.
5- Fry till the onion turn translucent. This takes about 5-6 mins.
6- Add green chillies, curry leaves and fry for 1-2 mins. Add turmeric powder and fry for another 2 mins.
7- Now add mashed potato. Add salt and sprinkle some water and mix well.
8- Serve with dosa, pooris and chapatis. You can serve this as a side dish with the rice too.
Also check our other side dish recipes
- Potato carrot stir fry – a simple dish for everyday meals, in south Indian style.
- Amaranth stir fry – south Indian red amaranth leaves stir fry.
- Sprouted green gram curry – vegan south Indian style curry recipe.
Potato masala | Aloo masala
- 310 gms potato or 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 medium size onion sliced
- 3 green chilli slit
- 3 garlic crushed
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of asafoetida
- salt to taste
- Wash 2 medium size potatoes in running water and pat dry. Boil these potatoes in pressure cooker adding 2.5 cups water for 5 whistles in medium flame. Potatoes can also be cooked in cooking pot adding sufficient water.
- Once the pressure is released completely open the pressure cooker and remove the potatoes. Peel the skin when it is still warm. Mash it roughly and keep aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp of oil keeping the heat medium. To this add sliced onion and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add chopped ginger and crushed garlic and fry till onion turns translucent.
- Now add green chilli and curry leaves. Fry this for 2 mins.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well. Fry this for another 2 mins.
- Now add mashed potatoes .
- Add salt and sprinkle some water and mix well. Put off the stove.
- Serve potato masala with hot dosa, pooris and chapatis.