Potato carrot stir fry recipe – easy stir fry recipe flavoured with spices.
Meeting different people in our life, makes us to have a different perception of world we live in. Many people come to our existence, they will be a part of our live and then at some point we move on and they play no more any part of it. We meet people at work, public transport, park, at counters and at many other places.
Some become very good friends, with whom we share our soulful thoughts. Some become just a part of our day to day life. And at certain turn, we have to move on which makes us wonder why they played a part when we were no longer meant to continue, and makes us heavy chested thinking we may not meet them again. Which will leaves us with memories to cherish throughout our life.
Speaking of colleagues, there are many things that builds connection. Food is one such bridge which connects people. Food has always been our favourite topic for our long talks. We talk about food we had in restaurant, cooking techniques and share recipes. And these recipes unknowingly become a part of our entire life even if we part away from each other.
This potato carrot stir fry recipe, which I’ve learnt from my colleague has been my comfort food recently. It requires minimum and readily available ingredients. This simple recipe can be served as a side with rice or prepare chapatti rolls, which is an excellent lunch box option.
Potato carrot stir fry recipe | how to make carrot-potato fry
Serves : 4-5 people
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cook time : 30 mins
2 cups potato, cut length wise
1 cup carrot, cut length wise
5-6 shallots / pearl onions, chopped
4-5 small garlic cloves, crushed
1 spring curry leaves
1 tbsp. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
Step by step method
1. Wash potato and carrot in running water and pat dry. Peel off the skin. Cut them as thick as french fries and around 1.5 inch lengthwise.
2. In a wok / kadai / deep pan, heat 1 tbsp. of oil. When oil is hot add mustard seeds.
3. Once mustard seeds splutter, add shallots, curry leaves, garlic, asafoetida and fry for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Fry it for another 2 mins.
5. Add potato and carrot pieces. Mix well, so the vegetable is coated with spices.
6. Cook it closed. Cook it in medium flame.
7. Keep on checking it at regular intervals, by moving the contents so it is not burnt. Sprinkle some water to avoid burning.
8. Once potato is cooked add chili and pepper powder. Mix well and fry it for another 5 mins.
9. Serve it hot.
1. Keep the lid closed, so the vegetables are cooked in their own moisture.
2. Keep a check to move the spatula over vegetables, to avoid burning.
3. Sprinkle some water if needed.