Moong dal payasam recipe | hesaru bele payasa recipe – mangalore style sweet delicacy, where split green gram is cooked in coconut milk, sweetened with jaggery and is flavoured with cardamom.
Festivals are incomplete without sweets. And in India, festivals are sinful excuse for devouring sweets.
Payesh, payasam payasa, kheer as it is called is a sweet pudding prepared with different ingredients, to name few are rice, cereals, fruits and so on, during festivals.
Moong dal payasam is among one of my favourite payasam recipes. I cook it during most of the festivals, because it can be prepared with readily available ingredients and also asks for very less labour.
Some prefer payasam piping hot and some like it chilled. I like it in room temperature. Try this easy moong dal payasam recipe and serve it as you like.
Moong dal payasam recipe | hesaru bele payasa recipe
Serves : 5-6 people
Preparation time : 4 hrs + 15 mins
Cook time : 30 mins
1/2 cup moong dal / split green gram / hesaru bele
1/4 cup sabudana / sago / tapioca pearls
1 cup fresh grated coconut
3/4 cup jaggery, pounded
4-5 cardamom, husked and powdered
1 tbsp. ghee
fistful raisins and cashew nut
Step by step method
1. Wash and rinse moong dal and sabudana separately in running water couple of times. Soak it separately for 4 hrs.
2. Grind fresh grated coconut smooth in grinder adding half cup water.
3. Pour the ground contents to the strainer,squeeze and extract coconut milk. Keep this coconut milk separate.
4. Transfer the squeezed coconut to the grinder again, add 1.5 cups of water and pulse for 3 to 4 times. Again pour the contents to strainer and extract coconut milk.
5. Cook moong dal in second time extracted coconut milk, till it is soft and mushy.
6. Keeping the stove in low flame, add first extracted coconut milk to the soft and mushy dal.
7. Add sabudana.
8. Add jaggery and mix well.
9. Simmer it in low flame for 6-8 mins. Then bring it boil for 2 mins.
10. Put off the stove. Meanwhile in a small pan heat 1 tbsp. of ghee. Fry raisins and cashew nut till they turn golden.
12. Add cardamom powder.
13. Pour ghee along with dry fruits to payasam and mix well.