Mirchi vada recipe | rajasthani mirchi vada recipe | how to make potato stuffed mirchi vadas – a deep fried snack, where jalapeno green chilies are stuffed with spiced potato mixture, coated with chickpea batter and deep fried.
Some days you crave for a particular dish irrespective of what season it is. It may be eating ice cream in a chilly winter or frying pakoda’s on a scorching sunny day. This thing happened to me during this weekend grocery shopping. I just could not stop myself from buying some fresh bhavanagri chilies and making these tasty rajasthani mirchi vadas.
Bhavnagari chilies are ideal for making these vadas, as they are less spicy. you can further decrease the spice level by deseeding them.
So next time when you spot these chilies in a vegetable market, do buy them, prepare these rajasthani mirchi vadas and enjoy it with a cup of tea and your loved ones.
Mirchi vada recipe | rajasthani mirchi vada recipe | how to make potato stuffed mirchi vadas
Serves : 2-3 people
Preparation time : 30 mins
Cook time : 15 mins
8 bhavnagri chilies / bajji chilies / jalapeno green chilies
oil for deep frying
1 cup besan / gram flour
2 tbsp rice flour
3/4 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
2 cups potato, cooked and mashed
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp chat masala powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
Step by step method
1. Wash bhavnagri chilies and pat dry. Slit the chilies vertically and deseed them, keeping the cap intact.
2. To prepare stuffing, take mashed potato,red chili powder, chat masala, turmeric powder, coriander leaves, asafoetida and salt in a mixing bowl.
3. Mix all the contents.
4. Now stuff the chilies completely with the prepared mixture and keep aside.
5. To prepare the batter, take gram flour / besan, red chili powder, cumin seeds, salt and mix well.
6. Prepare a thick batter by adding sufficient water and make sure there are no lumps.
7. Heat a heavy bottom wok with sufficient oil for deep frying in medium flame. Dip and coat the stuffed chilies with the prepared batter.
8. Once the oil is hot enough, deep fry the gram flour coated chilies .
9. Remove from oil, once it turns golden on both sides.
10. Similarly fry the remaining chilies.
11. Serve them hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.