Matar curry is the dish which we often prepare at home. Matar means green peas,so it is green peas curry in English. It is also popularly known as vatanacho ross in Goa. It can also be prepared as dry dish by using less water,but in this recipe I have prepared it as gravy.
When I first tasted this matar curry, I loved the taste & was just keen to know how it was prepared.I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, who is a very good cook. And when I tried it ,I just could not believe that such a tasty dish can be prepared so easily.In this recipe I’ve used slightly sprouted green peas. I’ve soaked dried green peas overnight, removed excess water & let it sprout next day. Sprouted green peas are good source of proteins. You can either use fresh green peas or frozen ones. You can vary the spice level as per your taste ,in this matar curry recipe I have used green chillies as well as red chilli powder.
Matar curry is best paired with indian breads like pav,hot pooris,chapathi & steamed rice.
Matar curry recipe
- 250 gms green peas
- 100 gms fresh coconut grated
- 1 medium size onion roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 long green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp gram masala powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt as per taste
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5-6 curry leaves
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- cook green peas with little salt. you can use pressure cooker to cook it fast.
- once green peas are cooked keep aside.
- heat a pan & add 2 tbsp oil.add grated coconut & saute for 2 mins.
- add onion.
- add garlic.
- add curry leaves, turmeric & saute till coconut turns light brown.
- now grind the sauteed mixture together with green chilli & ginger in grinder/blender.
- add sufficient water & prepare the gravy paste.
- cook the gravy & bring it to boil.
- add chilli powder.
- add garam masala powder & add salt.
- now add cooked green peas. stir well & cook for 5 minutes & switch of the stove.
- heat oil in small pan. add mustard seeds & allow it to crackle.
- add crushed garlic ,curry leaves & asafoetida. stir well & switch off the stove.
- pour the entire tempering to matar gravy & mix well.
- garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot.