Mango agar agar recipe | how to make mango jelly with agar agar – easy south eastern dessert prepared with tropical fruit mango and agar agar, a seaweed extract.
Singapore is very famous for their hawker center’s. Hawker center is usually a food court selling mainly chinese, malay, indian, western and sometimes other cuisine under one roof. These hawker center’s are usually tightly packed as they serve tastiest food for much cheaper price than restaurants maintaining hygiene standards.
As you walk through these hawker centers you will be taken to a culinary paradise by inviting sights of food and their aroma. My favourite food from these center when I lived in Singapore was chicken rice and agar agar treats.
Agar- agar, I was not a bit familiar with this word untill I tasted these treat in Singapore. You can find these colourfull treats in many flavours like mango, pandan leaves, strawberry, dragon fruit and many such in these hawker center.
The word agar comes from malay word agar-agar meaning jelly. It is obtained from red algae Gellidium and Gracillaria (source: wikipedia).
Agar agar usually can be found in any supermarket as agar agar powder or as sheets. I always wanted to make this treat at home, so summer and mango season made a perfect occasion to try this recipe. After referring many recipes, tweaking them and multiple testing this is best result I’ve settled with.
This summer try this cool mango agar agar recipe and do pack it up if you are planning a summer picnic.
Mango agar agar recipe | how to make mango jelly with agar agar
Serves : 4-5 people
Preparation time : 15 mins + 5 hrs(refrigeration time)
Cook time : 20 mins
3/4 cup fresh mango, chopped
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
6 gm agar agar ( sheet)
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
Step by step method
1. Roughly tear agar agar sheet to small pieces.
2. Soak agar agar in 1 cup of water for 15 mins.
3. Blend chopped mangoes along with orange juice till smooth and creamy.
4. Transfer soaked agar agar along with water to a heavy bottomed vessel, cook it in a medium heat.
5. To this add 1/4 cup sugar and mix it well.
6. Keep the solution whisking in medium flame until agar agar is completely dissolved. It took me about 18 mins for agar agar to dissolve completely.
7. Once agar agar is dissolved completely add mango orange puree.
8. Whisk it such no lumps are formed. Cook it for a minute in medium flame and put off the heat.
9. Transfer the hot mango solution to the desired shape mould. Once the solution cools to room temperature, refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hrs.
10. Once the agar agar is set cut it to desired shapes and serve chilled.
1. While extracting orange juice, make sure to filter it such that it contains no pulp.
2. Agar agar seems to dissolve fast when cooked. But that will not be the case, so make sure to whisk it continuously as there will be small pieces settled at the bottom of the vessel. Keep on whisking it until you find clear solution. If agar is not dissolved completely jelly will not set as required.
Also check our other dessert recipes –