Lady fish fry or kane rava fry – fish is marinated in a spice paste, coated with semolina (rava) and then shallow fried. This is a coastal delicacy and is a must try recipe in menu.
Mangalore is very famous for its seafood delights. Being a coastal region has made seafood, a prominent part in its cuisine. Here we have availability of fresh seafood and wide with range of options too.
There are dozens of restaurants serving good seafood in Mangalore region. But each one have their own favourite here. Each time we visit Mangalore, we feast these delicacies in our favourite restaurant. And we do visit local fish market, buy fresh fish from fish mongers after lots of bargaining, and prepare these delicacies at home and relish them with family.
When I talk about seafood restaurants of Mangalore, the one name that pops first is hotel Narayana. They are very famous for their fried fish delicacies. Seer fish fry/ anjal fry, pomfret fry, mackerel fry/ bangude fry, lady fish fry/ kane fry are must try’s from their menu. Along with fried fish, the default food they serve here is steaming hot brown boiled rice, veg dish of the day and fish curry cooked to perfection. One of the must try if you visit Mangalore.
Lady fish is known as kane (read as kaa-ne) in Mangalore – Udupi region. It is a white fish with silver scales, which looks very clean. May be so it is called lady fish 😉 . Kane rava fry is served across all restaurants in Mangalore region. Kane rava fry, tawa fry, masala fry being some varities.
In this kane rava fry recipe, I have used same ingredients as in king fish rava fry recipe, except rice flour which gives crispy texture to fish.
Serve this kane fry with hot steamed brown rice and dal for a perfect Mangalore style meal.
Lets begin with lady fish fry recipe -step by step method
1- We get our fish cleaned from fish market. So we do not have to clean them again. We just rinse the fish couple of times in water, till it comes clean.
2- In a small bowl mix red chilli powder, rice flour, turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, lime juice to a smooth paste.
3- Add little water and mix, to make it to spreadable consistency.
4- Marinate the fish with prepared paste and allow it to rest for about 15 mins.
5- Spread semolina / rava in a plate. Coat both sides of fish with semolina (rava).
6- Heat pan and add about 2 tbsp of oil. Once oil is hot fry fish in medium flame, till rava turns golden brown. Keep adding about tsp’s of oil in between frying fish, so they will turn crunchy and will not be dry.
7- Fry both sides till golden and serve it hot.
Lady fish fry recipe | kane rava fry recipe
- 4 medium size lady fish / 300 grams / 66 lbs cleaned
- 2 tbsp semolina / bombay rava
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (preferably coconut oil)
- salt to taste
- Keep the cleaned fish ready.
- In a small bowl mix, red chilli powder, rice flour, turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste , lime juice adding little water to a smooth paste. The paste should be of spreadable consistency.
- Marinate the fish with prepared paste and allow it to rest for about 15 mins.
- Spread semolina / rava in a plate. Coat both sides of fish with semolina (rava).
- Heat tawa/ griddle pan and add about 2 tbsp of oil. Once oil is hot fry fish in medium flame, till it turns golden brown. If turns dry, add a tsp of oil and continue frying.
- Flip to other side and fry till is nice golden.
- Once done remove to a plate.
- Lady fish fry is ready to be served.