Lady fish fry recipe | kane rava fry recipe – tasty shallow fried fried fish, marinated with spices and coated with semolina (rava) is a Mangalorean delicacy and a must try recipe.
Mangalore is very famous for its seafood delights. Being a coastal region, has made seafood a prominent part in its cusine, as there is availability of fresh seafood and wide range of options too.
There are dozens of restraunts serving good seafood in Mangalore region. But every one have their own favourite here. Each time we visit Mangalore, we feast these delicacies in our favourite restaurant. And we do visit local fish market, and buy fresh fish from fish mongers with lots of bargaining, and prepare these delicacies at home and relish them with family.
When I talk about seafood restaurants of Mangalore, the one name that pops first is hotel Narayana. They are very famous for their fried fish delicacies. Seer fish fry/ anjal fry, pomfret fry, mackerel fry/ bangude fry, lady fish fry/ kane fry are must try’s from their menu. Along with fried fish, the default food they serve here is steaming hot brown boiled rice, veg dish of the day and fish curry cooked to perfection. One of the must try if you visit Mangalore.
Lady fish is known as kane (read as kaa-ne) in Mangalore – Udupi region. It is a white fish with silver scales, which looks very clean. May be so it is called lady fish 😉 . Kane rava fry is served across all restaurants in Mangalore region. Kane rava fry, tawa fry, masala fry being some varities.
In this kane rava fry recipe, I have used same ingredients as in king fish rava fry recipe, except rice flour which gives crispy texture to fish.
Serve this kane fry with hot boiled brown rice and dal for a perfect Mangalore style meal.
Lady fish fry recipe | kane rava fry recipe
Serves : 4 people
Preparation time: 7 mins +25 mins
Cook time:10 mins
310 gms lady fish (4 nos), before cleaning
1 tbsp red chili powder
1 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp lime juice
2 tbsp rava
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
oil for shallow frying
salt to taste
Step by step method
1. Clean fish, rinse it couple of times and keep it aside.
2. In a small bowl mix red chili powder, rice flour, turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, lime juice to a smooth paste.
3. Add about 1-2 tbsp of water, if required, to make it to spreadable consistency.
4. Marinate the fish with prepared paste and allow it to rest for about 20-30 mins.
5. Spread semolina / rava in a plate. Coat both sides of fish with semolina (rava).
6. Heat pan and add about 1- 2 tbsp of oil. Once oil is hot fry fish in medium flame, till rava turns golden brown.
7. Fry both sides and serve it hot.
1. Keep adding about tsp’s of oil in between frying fish, so they will turn crunchy and will not be dry.