Breadfruit pakoda or jeegujje podi or breadfruit fritters is a local delicacy of Mangalore-Udupi region. Breadfruit is a common vegetable grown in every household of konkan region.Breadfruit is commonly known as jeegujje in Mangalore and neerpanas in Goa.
We have a huge breadfruit tree standing in front of my grandmother’s house, which bears plenty of breadfruits. These trees usually produce large crops at certain time of years.But it is not possible for us to reach all of them as the tree is very tall, so some would ripen & just fall down. My grandmother had a special long bamboo stick to pluck the ones which it could reach, and breadfruits were distributed between relatives and neighbours. She would prepare tasty recipes like kadle jeegujje,yeti jeegujje or just jeegujje podi or breadfruit pakodas in a jiffy, which our entire family would relish in veranda.
I found these tasty breadfruit while shopping grocery this week and it did not take me much time to grab it and to put it in my trolley. For good breadfruit pakoda recipe, choose the ones which are light green in colour ,unripened and is hard when you press it. Do not choose the ones which have turned yellowish, as they will be sweet.
This jeegujje podi recipe is also prepared like any other pakoda recipe.
Serve breadfruit pakodas or jeegujje podi hot with tomato ketchup and a cup of hot tea. Enjoy this evening snack with your family.
Breadfruit pakoda recipe | jee-gujje podi | neerpanas pakoda
- 380 gm whole breadfruit
- 1 cup gram flour/besan
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Peel the breadfruit, cut it vertically and remove the centre core. Then cut it into slices. I could cut 380 gm breadfruit to 28 slices.
- Mix gram flour, chilli powder, cumin seeds, asafoetida, salt and prepare smooth paste.
- Dip breadfruit slices in paste and fry it in oil. Fry it in medium flame as breadfruit takes little more time to cook than normal pakodas.
- Remove the pakodas from oil when fried.