This instant badam milk is a nutritious drink, where milk is flavoured with almond, cardamom and saffron.Jump to Recipe
During our growing up days, neighbours would invite us for laskshmi pooja or ayudha pooja of the their stores. The main perk of attending these would be aloo bonda and chilled badam milk.And since our friends would manage serving buisness, there would be endless supply of this drink to satisfy our craving for this cold badam drink.
Other wise at home mum would always serve hot badam milk after school. To prevent us form catching cold all refrigerated drinks would be avoided although summer would be exception due to heat and summer holidays.
If you have the badam milk powder ready at home, this can be prepared at an instant. This comes very handy when we have unexpected guests visiting us. This instant almond milk is loved by everyone. Serve it hot during cold winter. Chill it for an hour in refrigerator and serve it cold during summer.
Instant badam milk recipe
- Almonds / badam – I’ve used medium size almonds here. I’ve not soaked almond in water here. You can soak it for an hour and peel the skin or can use blanched almonds. **One important thing to remember when storing roasted powdered almond is , you have to allow the almonds to cool completely before grinding them to powder. Otherwise they will release oil, thus spoiling the powder soon.
- Saffron – gives yellow colour and sweet aroma to the drink.
- Cardamom – whole cardamoms are ground, another ingredient for flavouring the drink.
- Milk – I have used full fat milk in this recipe and will recommend the same for creaminess.
- Sugar – I’ve used normal sugar, you can use brown sugar too for this recipe.
Step by step method
1- Dry roast almonds till it turns crunchy, i.e for about 10 mins. Do not burn them when roasting. Allow it to cool completely.
2- Dry roast cardamom for 2 mins.
3- First take sugar and almond in grinder and grind it to smooth powder.
4- To this add roasted almonds and saffron. Grind it to smooth powder. Store this almond powder mix in an air tight container and use as needed. It goes well for an month.
5- Boil 2 cups of milk. When it starts to bubble up add 5 tsps of almond powder and stir well. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
6- Serve it hot or cold. Garnish with slivered almonds before serving.
Also check our other milk based beverage recipes
Instant badam milk
- 2 cups milk full fat
- silvered almonds for garnishing
Badam milk powder
- 1/2 cup badam/almond
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp saffron strands
- 6 cardamom
- Dry roast almond/ badam in medium flame till they turn crunchy. Once done transfer to a plate and allow it to cool completely.
- In the same pan dry roast cardamom for 2- 3 mins. Switch off the stove and allow cardamom to cool.
- In a mixer grinder, finely powder sugar and cardamom.
- Now add roasted almonds, which is completely cooled and saffron strands. Grind it to fine powder.
- You can store this powder in a tight container and use it when needed. Goes ewell for a month.
Instant badam milk
- Bring two cups of milk to boil. To this add 5 tsp of prepared badam milk powder and stir well. Simmer for another 2 mins. Switch off the stove.
- Add slivered almonds and stir well. If you like it chilled, refrigerate it to minimum 1 hour before serving.It takes very good when served warm too.
- Remember before grinding almonds should be cooled completely. Otherwise it will release oil when ground which spoils the powder soon.
- Adjust the sugar to your taste. Can also use brown sugar.
- If serving to kids, filter before serving and skip adding slivered almonds.