Green chutney recipe – a lip snacking chutney made from fresh cilantro/ coriander leaves, mint leaves, lime juice, ginger and green chillies, perfect for sandwiches and for snacks.
This green chutney is one of the most popular and must have chutney in Indian cusine. This is an quinesential element in most loved Indian street food-chaat . The chaat such as bhel puri, aloo tikki chaat to name few, must have two chutney’s to complete them, one is this green chutney recipe, and the other being imli /tamarind sweet chutney.
Even the simple of the pakodas / fritters turn lip smacking when you dip them in these two chutneys. This chutney is also used as a spread in bombay sandwich and also chutney sandwich.
How to make Indian green chutney recipe
This recipe needs, easily available fresh ingredients-
- Cilantro/ coriander leaves, you can use the stalks too.
- Mint/ pudina leaves – use only the leaves, as adding stalks will turn the chutney slight bitter.
- Green chillies – I have used the Indian variety, you can use the thai variety too and adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- Salt – I have used the regular table salt in this recipe. But you can use Himalayan salt or black salt for earthy and smoky flavours.
- Lime juice can be substituted with the lemon juice.
- Other ingredients include roasted peanuts, sugar, ginger and cumin seeds.
- Other variations – includes substituting peanuts with grated coconut ( add 1/4 cup grated coconut), and also I have tried the other version with walnuts (5-6 walnuts) . It tastes very good.
- You can also just skip peanuts and make this chutney.
- For tandoori style mint chutney prepare the chutney with same ingredients excluding peanuts and add half cup yogurt and sprinkle some chaat masala powder. Goes very well with grilled meat and tikka recipes.
Also check our other chutney recipes :
- Tomato chutney – south Indian style chutney made with tomatoes.
- Hog plum chutney – Indian regional chutney recipe.
- Curry leaves chutney – Kerala style chutney recipe.
- Spinach chutney – healthy chutney recipe.
Green chutney recipe | cilantro mint chutney recipe
- 1 cup cilantro/ coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1 indian green chilli
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- salt to taste
- Take all the chutney ingredients in a blender/ grinder.
- Grind it together with salt, 3 tbsp water to smooth paste.
- Chutney is ready to be served.