This gobi manchurian recipe is dry, crispy and full of tantalising flavours, and tastes like the one from your favourite street food joint.
What is manchurian recipe?
Manchurian recipe, is said to have originated in small Chinese community of Kolkata, India. It is the result of adapting the chinese techniques with seasoning to suit the Indian tastes and is now a staple in Indian Chinese cuisine.
These manchurian recipes have both vegetarian – cauliflower/ mushroom/ baby corn/ cabbage/ paneer and non vegetarian – chicken/ shrimp options (Source – Wikipedia).
About Gobi Manchurian –
Gobi means cauliflower in hindi. And in South India, place where I come from, still now, gobi is the word in restaurants, typically used to order this gobi manchurian dish. Followed by giving your preference of dry, semi dry or gravy option.
This fried cauliflower dish, like other manchurian dish have ingredient list of all purpose flour, corn flour, minced garlic, ginger with sauce mix of soy sauce, ketchup and hot sauce and final garnish of spring onions.
What to pair this dry gobi manchurian?
This recipe can be served as an appetiser. This goes very well with chapati and fried rice too.
Other variation –
- This can be a dry dish as this recipe.
- Gobi manchurian gravy recipe is done by adding cornflour slurry to the sauce mix and then adding the fried cauliflower pieces to it.
STEP BY STEP METHOD
1- Cut cauliflower to bite size florets and wash couple of times. Boil 4 cups of water with 1/2 tsp salt. To this add cauliflower florets and switch off the stove. Let them sit in water for 5 mins.
2- Drain the water using colander. Place the colander under cold running water, such that cauliflower is not hot now.
3- In a bowl mix all purpose flour, corn flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, salt and mix well. Now add water and make a smooth paste. I added about 1/2 cup water. The paste should be thick enough to coat the cauliflower florets.
4- Heat oil for deep frying in a deep pan keeping heat medium- high. Dip cauliflower florets in the prepared batter and drop them to the oil. Fry both sides till they turn golden.
5- Once done remove the fried cauliflower to a plate with tissue and keep aside.
6- In a wide pan, heat 2 tablespoon oil keeping the flame medium. To this add chopped onion, minced ginger and garlic and fry them till they change colour. Then add green chilli and fry for a minute.
7- Keeping the heat medium, add tomato ketchup, soy sauce, chilli sauce, vinegar and salt. Mix everything together.
8- Add cubed capsicum and fry them in high heat for 2 minutes.
9- Now add fried cauliflower florets and give a good toss.
10- Switch off the stove and garnish with spring onion. Gobi manchurian is ready to be served.
Do check our other recipes –
- Indian style deviled eggs – deviled eggs with Indian twist.
- Amritsari macchi – indian style fish fritters.
Gobi manchurian recipe dry
- 250 grams cauliflower florets (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 teaspoon rice flour (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- oil for deep frying
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 inch ginger minced
- 1 indian green chilli slit
- 1 medium size capsicum/ green pepper cut to thick strips or square cubes
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce/ hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup spring onion/ scallion
- salt to taste
- Wash cauliflower florets thoroughly in water.
- Boil 4 cups of water with 1/2 tsp salt. Add in the cauliflower florets and switch off the stove.
- Allow the florets to rest in water for 5 mins.
- Drain the water using colander. Bring the cauliflower florets under cold running water. Drain all the water.
- Mix all purpose flour, corn flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, salt. To this add about 1/2 cup of water and prepare batter with no lumps. Batter should be thick enough to coat the cauliflower florets.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a deep bottomed pan keeping the heat medium. Dip the cauliflower florets in prepared batter and drop it into oil. Fry both sides till it turns golden.
- Once fried remove it to a plate.
- Meanwhile when cauliflower is frying, heat 2 tablespoon sesame oil in a wide pan. Add chopped onion, minced ginger, garlic in medium high heat till it turns golden.
- Add green chilli and fry for a minute.
- Now add in tomato ketchup, soy sauce, chilli sauce, vinegar, little salt and give a good mix keeping heat medium.
- Add capsicum pieces and fry for 2 mins.
- Add fried cauliflower pieces, toss well and switch off the stove.
- Finally garnish with spring onions/ scallions. Gobi manchurian is ready to be served.
- Adding rice flour is completely optional. But when added the cauliflower fry turns very crispy.
- Be careful when adding salt and add only if necessary as all the sauces will have salt in it.