This mackerel cutlet recipe is an easy goan style starter, which is super tasty, authentic goan and definitely a crowd pleaser recipe.
The cutlets I was always aware of were, vegetable cutlet and chicken cutlet. And vegetable cutlet being my favourite, which I devoured in my college canteen during short break time and also I make must visit to my favourite food joints , when in Mangalore, just to savour these cutlets. But these mackerel cutlet recipe was totally new to me until our goan friend served us during our visit to their home.
When I tasted these mackerel cutlets, they were very different from the ones I tasted earlier, too tasty. I could not wait to ask recipe from her, which she patiently wrote it to me with detailed steps. This recipe was a hit for the first time I prepared it. Now this has become a favourite starter when we host get together at home.
Lets begin with goan mackerel cutlet recipe
About some ingredients :
- Mackerel / bangda fish – Any recipe calls for best and fresh ingredients. Freshness becomes very important especially with seafood recipes. Some of the tips to be considered when buying fish are -always choose bright eyed, shinny scaled, odourless fish . Though I’ve used medium size fish, big size mackerels are ideal for this recipe, as it reduces the job of removing the fish meat from its thorns.
- Coriander leaves – I’ve used 1 cup of coriander leaves, this is because along with the flavour it reduces the fish odour.
- Semolina/ Rava – Authentic recipe uses rava to coat the patties and deep fry. I did not use any binding agent in this recipe because the mackerel meat sticks very well together. If needed you can use bread crumbs.
Step by step method
1- Soak 1 tsp tamarind flesh in 2 tbsp water and keep aside. Clean the fish and rinse it couple of times till water comes clear.
2- Heat 2 cups of water along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt, and pulp of tamarind. When small bubble start appearing, add fish and cook for 5 mins. Once done switch of the stove and allow it to cool. Do not over cook the fish as it gets cooked in masala too.
3- Meanwhile, take chopped tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves in blender/grinder. Grind it to smooth paste without adding water.
4- Once fish is cooled down, separate the flesh from thorns and keep it aside.
5- Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan in medium heat. Add chopped onions and fry till it turns translucent.
6- Now add masala paste and fry till all liquid in the paste dries off.
7- To this add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida, salt and mix well.
8- Add mackerel flesh and mix it. Cook it for another 2-3 mins. Put off the stove and allow mixture to cool.
9- Once the mixture is warm enough to touch, make round cutlets.
10- Coat both the sides of cutlet with rava /semolina.
11. Heat the griddle/ tawa, add oil keeping the heat medium. Fry the cutlets.
12.Fry till both side turns golden. Serve as appetiser or as a side dish with rice and dal.
Also check our other appetiser recipes.
- Amritsari fish – deep fried fish, where spiced fish is coated with gram flour.
- Chicken 65 – A famous south indian deep fried chicken.
Goan mackerel cutlet recipe | bangda cutlet recipe
- 7 whole mackerel, medium size cleaned
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp tamarind flesh
- oil for shallow frying
- 4 onion, medium size chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 3 green chillies chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- pinch of asafoetida
- Soak 1 tsp tamarind flesh with 2 tbsp water.
- Clean the fish and rinse it couple of times till water comes clear.
- Heat 2 cups of water along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt, and tamarind water. When water is hot enough add fish and cook for 5 mins. Once done switch of the stove and allow it to cool.
- In a grinder/blender take chopped tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves and grind it to smooth paste without adding water.
- Once fish is cooled down, separate the flesh from thorns and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan in medium heat. Add chopped onions and fry till it turns translucent.
- Now add masala paste and fry till all liquid dries off.
- To this add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida, salt and mix well.
- Add mackerel flesh and mix it. Cook it for another 2-3 mins. Put off the stove and allow mixture to cool.
- Once the mixture is warm enough to touch, make round cutlets.
- Heat tawa/griddle, add oil. Once oil is hot enough fry cutlets till both sides turn golden.
- I have used medium size fish, you can use big size mackerels too.
- Do not over cook the fish at the beginning, as it will be cooked in later stages too.
- Add chilli powder to masala, if you want it more spicy.
- Add 1-2 tsp of bread crumbs if you cannot bind the patties.