Ghee rice recipe | how to make ghee rice in pressure cooker – south indian style recipe, where rice is cooked with aromatic spices and flavoured with ghee.
In my previous post I wrote about posting simple comfort food, that I grew up with. I was listing them down, and found that some of the ingredients are not easily available here in Dubai. They are some seasonal greens and fruits which are readily available in markets of India which makes delicious palyas (stir fry), chutneys to name a few. So I’ve come up with a plan to persuade my relatives and friends recently visiting my hometown to be back with the bounty back home.
Talking about food I grew up with, which I prepare regularly, one such dish is this ghee rice recipe. Although I prepare this recipe almost twice or thrice a month now, during our childhood days it was only prepared during special occasions. It may be during birthday’s, anniversaries, during guest visits or other special occasions.
This is a fool proof recipe which will never disappoint you when you want to serve other than just simple plain rice. It goes very best with kori sukka and chicken ghee roast and for vegetarians green peas usal or veg kurma make the best combination. Do give a try and tell me what you think.
Ghee rice recipe | how to make ghee rice in pressure cooker
Serves : 2 people
Preparation time : 30 mins
Cook time : 15 mins
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 1/2 tbsp ghee
1 medium onion, sliced
1 1/2 inch cinnamon
3 green cardamom
1 bay leaf
1/2 star anise
6-7 cashew nut, halved
2 tsp. raisins
salt to taste
Step by step method
1. Rinse rice couple of times. Soak it for 30 mins in water.
2. Heat pressure cooker in medium flame and add 1 1/2 tbsp ghee. Once ghee melts add raisins and cashew nut. Fry it till they turn golden.
3. Turn heat to low, remove fried raisins and cashew nut once they are golden.
4. Turning the heat to medium, add bay leaf, cloves, cardamon, cinnamon and star anise to the same ghee. Fry them till fragrant.
5. Add sliced onion.
6. Fry onion till they turn golden.
7. Once onion is golden, add rice and gently mix such that rice is well coated with ghee.
8. Add 1 cup of water, salt and mix.
9. Cover the pressure cooker, and cook in high flame for 2 whistles. Mine took about 5 mins.
10. Once cooker is cooled open the lid.
11. Now add fried raisins and cashew nut. Mix and serve.