This egg fried rice is you need, when one needs to whip up some tasty Chinese, just under 20 mins, given you have cold white rice sitting in your fridge.
We are fan of both, authentic chinese and also Indo- chinese (desi chinese) dishes.
Back in Singapore, the hawker centre’s serve one of the best dumplings, chicken rice (my favourite) and fried rice I have tasted so far.
Sometimes I want to fly back to Singapore, only to taste the delicacies, served in those hawker centre. They are delicious, hygienic and very friendly on pockets
Chicken fried rice served with pickled jalapenos, with chunks of chicken and fried eggs along with veggies was what we ordered, when our hungry souls came back from work and was so tired to enter the kitchen. It was only 4 SGD back then, and the quantity was sufficient for two.
Now we try to recreate a similar style fried rice at home, and serve wit indo-chinese side dishes like chilli chicken or gobi manchurian.
Lets begin with the Egg fried rice :
Here are some of my tips for chinese take out style egg fried rice –
- Rice –
- For non sticky, separate grain fried rice, it is best to use chilled overnight rice. I would say, plan ahead and cook the rice at night and refrigerate. Next day you have perfect rice for your lunch or dinner, fried rice.
- Do not cook rice completely like you do usually. Put off the stove before 3 mins, than its regular cooking time.
- Chinese rice recipes calls for jasmine rice, but it taste best even with long grain basmati rice.
- If cooking with fresh rice then cook it at least 2 hrs ahead and refrigerate.
- Oil – use toasted sesame oil or peanut oil for take out style chinese fried rice. This gives a nice nutty flavour to the rice.
- Vegetables – use either frozen or fresh vegetable mix of carrot, green peas, green beans. Adding celery, capsicum and broccoli, increases the taste, texture and appeal of the dish. Add tri coloured pepper if you have, kids will love the colours.
- Eggs – use the number of eggs as the recipe calls. You can keep them as chunky or break them to smaller pieces when you fry them. We like to keep eggs chunky in our fried rice as it adds nice bite to the dish.
- Rice vinegar
- Soy sauce
Step by step method
1- In a bowl whisk 3 eggs with salt and pepper. Heat a wide wok, add 1 tbsp oil keeping heat medium. When oil is hot enough add the egg mixture. Fry eggs and break it into chunks. Remove it to a plate.
2- To same wok add 2 tbsp oil, when oil is hot add minced ginger, garlic, chopped onion in high flame for 2 minutes.
3- Now add all the vegetables including capsicum and fry it in high flame till it becomes a little tender.
4- Add cooked rice.
5- Add soy sauce, vinegar, salt and mix well. Soy sauce already has salt in it so add salt accordingly.
6- Add fried egg pieces, spring onion and give a good mix.
7- Serve egg fried rice with kung pao chicken or chilli chicken for an heavenly chinese treat.
Egg fried rice
- 3 cups cooked chilled white rice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped mix vegetables (carrot, peas, green beans)
- 1 medium size capsicum chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 inch ginger minced
- 1/4 cup spring onion / scallion chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- salt to taste
- Whisk 2 eggs with salt and 1/4 tsp pepper powder.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide wok, keeping heat medium. Add in the whisked eggs, fry, and break it into chunks. Remove the fried eggs to a plate.
- To the same wok add 2 tbsp oil, add minced ginger, garlic and chopped onion. Fry them in high flame for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables, and fry them in high flame till they turn a bit tender and still keeping a bite to them.
- Add chilled cooked white rice.
- Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, 1/2 tsp pepper powder and mix well.
- Add fried egg pieces, spring onion green and mix well.
- Egg fried rice is ready to be served.
- Since soy sauce has salt in it, be careful with adding salt.