Dal tadka and rice, a very simple meal but comfort food for many Indians. This home style dal tadka recipe, is easy to make and also requires very less labour when you are craving for simple homey meal.Jump to Recipe
What is dal tadka ?
Dal means lentil, and tadka means the tempering added at the end. This recipe is also famous through out all restaurants as tadka dal together with other Indian favourites like dal fry and dal makhani.
This one pot dish can be prepared in no time in pressure cooker. Dal along with tomatoes, onion, ginger and chillies are cooked in pressure cooker. If not you can cook in normal cooking pot adding sufficient water.
This dish is served very differently in restaurants and mainly the tempering. Kasuri methi (dries fenugreek leaves) is used at the end of the tempering which gives a very pleasant and different aroma to the dish. Being south-Indian we have always used curry leaves for tempering which has its own flavour. Do try both the ones and have different aroma dal for your daily meals.
In mangalore, a thali may be veg or fish is incomplete without this recipe. Even at home, nothing bests this home style dal tadka with a side vegetarian dish and a fish fry. Boring of the boring meals are lightened up with this yellow tadka dal.
Lets begin with dal tadka recipe
About some ingredients –
- Dal – I’ve used split pigeon peas/toor dal/arhar dal in this recipe. You can even mix half and half of split green gram/moong dal and toor dal too for this recipe.
- Ghee/ clarified butter – You can use ghee for a mild pleasant flavour or instead you can make this dish completely vegan by using cooking oil.
- Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, garlic – must need for tempering
Step by step method.
1- Wash dal couple of times in running water. In a pressure cooker take this dal along with sliced onion, chopped tomato, ginger, slit green chillies, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water. Cook this in medium flame for 4 whistles and put off the stove.
If not using pressure cooker, soak the dal for abut an hour in water. Then along with other all other ingredients cook dal adding sufficient water in a cooking pot till the dal is cooked.
2- Once the pressure releases completely, open the lid. Dal should be soft and mushy. If the dal is very thick then add little water. Try not to make it to complete paste like texture.
3- Transfer the cooked dal to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
4- For tempering, in a small pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee keeping the heat medium. To this add mustrad seeds, as they crackle add cumin seeds, garlic, dried red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves. Fry this for 1-2 mins. Pour this tempering to the cooked dal and mix well.
Dal tadka is best paired with steamed rice and rotis.
Also check our other vegetarian recipes –
- 1/2 cup split pigeon peas/toor dal/arhar dal
- 1/2 medium size onion sliced
- 1 medium size tomato chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 long dried red chilli roughly cut
- 10 curry leaves
- pinch of asafoetida
- Wash dal couple of times in running water.
- Add the dal to pressure cooker along with onion, chopped tomato, ginger, green chilli, turmeric powder,salt and 2 cups of water. Cook for 4 whistles in medium flame and put off the stove.
- Once the pressure releases completely, open the cooker lid. The dal should be cooked soft and mushy. Add little water if the dal is too thick.
- Transfer the cooked dal to serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves..
- In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee keeping the heat medium.
- To this add mustard seeds. As they crackle add cumin seeds, chopped garlic, dried red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves. Fry this for 1-2 mins.
- Pour the tempering to the dal and mix it.
- Serve the dal with steamed rice and rotis.
- If not in pressure cooker, soak dal for an hour in water. Cook dal with all other ingredients adding sufficient water in cooking pot.
- Cook the dal till it is soft and mushy. Do not cook it till paste texture.