Seafood have always been a important part in Mangalorean cuisine. And bangude pulimunchi is one such famous fish dish in Mangalore cuisine.Bangude ghassi is yet another famous recipe but is prepared with coconut where as pulimunchi is prepared without it.
Bangude pulimunchi as the name indicates is mackerel cooked in spicy sour gravy.
Mackerel is commonly known as bangude in Mangalore/Udupi region. Pulimunchi, means a dish prepared with chilies & tamarind in large quantity.Spice level of Mangalore bangude pulimunchi recipe can be varied as personal taste.I’ve chosen medium sized mackerel in this recipe , you can even choose small mackerels.
Mackerel fish is easily available in all fish market. Choosing fresh mackerels is also important for good curry. Choose the one which do not have strong odor,the ones with eyes that are bright & clear,moist skin & shiny scales.
Mackerel fish is a good source of vitamin E,vitamin D,vitamin A,vitamin K & vitamin B12.
Enjoy bangude pulimunchi with steamed rice,which will tickle your taste buds and do check our easy seafood recipes. Even boothai (sardines) pulimunchi can be prepared in the same way. Pulimunchi always taste excellent next day!!!
Bangude pulimunchi recipe
- 500 gm mackerel/bangude medium size, cleaned
- 7 dry long red chilli kashmiri(less spicy) or byadgi(medium spicy)
- 4 dry short round red chilli
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoon tamarind flesh
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- Dry roast long & short red chillies, peppercorns, corriander seeds, cumin seeds & fenugreek seeds in medium flame for about a minute.
- Add all the roasted spices to grinder/blender together with ginger, garlic, turmeric powder and grind it.
- Add tamarind and grind again.
- Add little water and grind it to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan keeping heat medium. To this add mustard seeds. Once they crackle add curry leaves and fry for for 2 mins.
- Pour the prepared masala to pan, add salt and little water to get gravy consistency and stir well.
- Simmer in medium flame till it comes to boil.
- Once masala is boiled, add cleaned fish pieces and allow it to cook till it is done.
- Switch off the stove. Serve it with rice, dosa or chapati.