Seafood have always been a important part in Mangalorean cuisine. And bangude pulimunchi is one such famous fish dish in Mangalore cuisine.Bangude ghassi is yet another famous recipe but is prepared with coconut where as pulimunchi is prepared without it.
Bangude pulimunchi as the name indicates is mackerel cooked in spicy sour gravy.
Mackerel is commonly known as bangude in Mangalore/Udupi region. Pulimunchi, means a dish prepared with chilies & tamarind in large quantity.Spice level of Mangalore bangude pulimunchi recipe can be varied as personal taste.I’ve chosen medium sized mackerel in this recipe , you can even choose small mackerels.
Mackerel fish is easily available in all fish market. Choosing fresh mackerels is also important for good curry. Choose the one which do not have strong odor,the ones with eyes that are bright & clear,moist skin & shiny scales.
Mackerel fish is a good source of vitamin E,vitamin D,vitamin A,vitamin K & vitamin B12.
Enjoy bangude pulimunchi with steamed rice,which will tickle your taste buds and do check our easy seafood recipes. Even boothai (sardines) pulimunchi can be prepared in the same way. Pulimunchi always taste excellent next day!!!
Bangude pulimunchi recipe
- 500 gm mackerel/bangude medium size
- 7 dry long red chilli kashmiri(less spicy) or byadgi(medium spicy)
- 4 dry short round red chilli
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt as per tate
- Dry roast long & short red chillies,peppercorns,corriander seeds,cumin seeds & fenugreek seeds in medium flame.
- Add all the roasted spices to grinder/blender together with ginger & garlic, turmeric powder & grind it.
- Add tamarind & grind it again.
- Add sufficient water and prepare the masala paste.
- Heat a pan,add oil,add mustard seeds.once crackled add curry leaves & saute for 3-4 mins.
- Pour the prepared masala to pan,add salt ,add sufficient water & stir well.
- Bring the masala to boil.
- Once masala is boiled,add cleaned fish pieces and allow it to cook.
- Once cooked ,serve it hot.