Amritsari macchi recipe | fish amritsari recipe – a deep fried starter fish delicacy, where fish is marinated with spices, and coated with thick batter of gram flour/ besan and then deep fried.
Weekend for us means a day when we can eat out. Search on this restaurant, begins three days prior to weekend. Thanks to zomato which has made our work so easier. Last weekend all I was craving for was dessert, and my husband wanted to dine with good tandoor food. We finally ended with our favourite buffet restaurant which serves variety of dessert, good continental and Indian food.
All my diet plans were overthrown, by the colourful sight of desserts served. Apart from the dessert, the Punjabi food served was superb. Punjabi food is rich and full with bold flavours. While meat lovers can never have enough of butter chicken, tandoori chicken, amritsari macchi and so on, vegetarians find their bliss with sarson ka saag, daal makhni, chole bature to name a few.
The dish which we could not get enough with was amritsari macchi . We both could not stop ourselves from topping our plate with this starter. Amritsari macchi recipe was published in local newspaper, some time back. I followed the same recipe with some tweaking, to recreate the same taste at home. So here I’m with another fish starter recipe. I’ve used king fish fillet in this recipe, and rice flour instead of corn flour for crunchy texture.
I paired this amritsari macchi with ghee rice and a glass of buttermilk for our yummy lunch. Do give a try.
Amritsari macchi recipe | fish amritsari recipe
Serves : 3 people
Preparation time : 10 mins + 2 hrs (resting time)
Cook time: 25 mins
300 gm fish fillet, cut to thick cubes (king fish/seer fish)
1/2 cup gram flour/ besan
1 1/2 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp, thick curd
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp red chili powder
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
chat masala (optional)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1-2 tsp lime juice
salt to taste
Step by step method
1. Clean and wash fish fillet, pat dry and keep aside. Cut the fish to thicker chunk.
2. To marinate the fish add chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, salt and lime juice.
3. Marinate the fish, such that masala is coats the fish properly and refrigerate it for about 2 hours.
4. Mix gram flour, rice flour, chili powder, cumin powder, asafoetida, salt , curds and prepare a thick batter.
5. Add little water to get exact consistency.
6. Dip the fish fillets in the batter.
7. Heat oil, covering at least 1 inch of the deep pan and deep fry.
8. Deep fry until the fillet becomes golden brown.
9. Take out the fish and drain on a paper towel.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle some chat masala before serving.
1. Spice level can be adjusted to personal taste.
2. If you dont have rice flour use corn flour.
3. Also add 1/2 tsp of carom seeds/ ajwain when preparing batter.