Padengi gassi recipe | sprouted green gram curry recipe – rich mangalorean coconut gravy recipe, prepared with aromatic roasted spices, coconut and sprouted green gram.
After a break of four months from my blogging , I am here with one of the must have recipe for the festivities which is served with mangalore style idli and dosas.
If you are following my previous posts, you can find me posting traditional mangalore recipes before festivals. As I was making a mental note of dishes I want to prepare for this janmastami, I found my blog is missing with one of the must have recipe for the festival. So I am here posting padengi gassi recipe for readers to try for the festivity.
Mangalore gassi recipes are gravy recipes prepared with coastal favourite grated coconut, blended together with roasted spices and tamarind pulp.In this recipe I’ve used sprouted green gram, which makes this recipe more healthy and tasty.
Serve this tasty padengi gassi with idli/ dosa/ chapati or with rice.
Padengi gassi recipe | sprouted green gram curry recipe
Serves : 4-5 people
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
1 cup sprouted green gram / hesaru kaalu / padengi
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
5 long red chili (byadgi)
4 small round red chili
3 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp tamarind pulp
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 medium size onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
3-4 small garlic cloves
salt to taste
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
2-3 long red chilies, roughly cut
1 spring of curry leaves
pinch of asafoetida
Step by step method
1. Wash and clean sprouted green gram and keep it handy.
2. Dry roast long and short red chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds separately, each for a minute.
3. Take roasted spices together with fresh grated coconut, chopped onion, garlic, tamarind, turmeric powder in mixer grinder.
4. Grind it to smooth thick paste adding sufficient water.
5. Remove the paste from the grinder.
6. Add 1.5 – 2 cups of water to the same grinder and give a pulse.
7. Now cook green gram along with chopped tomatoes and salt in the same pulsed water.
8. Cook the spouts until they are well done but still has a crunch. Do not over cook.
9. Now add wet paste.
10. Bring it to boil for 4 mins in medium flame.
11. Meanwhile, for tempering heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds and bring it to splutter, add garlic, red chili, curry leaves, pinch of asafoetida and fry for 2-3 mins.
12. Pour the tempering to the gravy.
- Soak green gram till 4-5 hrs and use it in the recipe, if in case you do not have sprouted green gram.
- Reduce the number of chilies if you don’t want it spicy.