Goan mackerel cutlet recipe | bangda cutlet recipe – an easy goan style starter recipe where patties prepared with mackerel, onions and spices is coated with rava/ semolina and pan fried to obtain crunchy outer texture.
The cutlets I was aware of were vegetable cutlet and chicken cutlet. And vegetable cutlet being my favourite, which I devoured in college canteen during short break time and also I make must visit to my favourite food joints , when in Mangalore, just to savour these cutlets. But these mackerel cutlet recipe was totally new to me until our goan friend served us during our visit to their home.
When I tasted these mackerel cutlets, they were very different from the ones I tasted earlier, too tasty. I could not wait to ask recipe from her, which she patiently wrote it to me with detailed steps. This recipe was a hit for the first time I prepared it. Now this has become a favourite starter when we host get together at home.
If you have mackerels ready at home, this recipe can be prepared with ingredients readily available at kitchen. All it asks for is fresh mackerels. So always choose bright eyed, shinny scaled, odorless fish as these are some of the tips to be considered for choosing fresh fish.
Serve these goan mackerel cutlets as a starter or serve them as a side dish with dal and rice.
Goan mackerel cutlet recipe | bangda cutlet recipe
Makes : 10 cutlets
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cook time : 25 mins
7 mackerel fish, medium size, cleaned
4 medium size onion, chopped
3/4 cup tomato, chopped
3-4 green chili
3 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger
1/2 +1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 cup coriander leaves, tightly packed
3-4 tbsp rava/ semolina
tamarind marble size (pulp)
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil + oil for shallow frying
Step by step method
1. Clean the fish and rinse it couple of times till water comes clear.
2. Heat 2 cups of water along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt, and pulp of tamarind. 3.When water is hot, add fish and cook it for 5 mins. Once done switch of the stove and allow it to cool.
4. Meanwhile, take chopped tomato, ginger, garlic, green chili, coriander leaves in blender/grinder.
5. Grind it to smooth paste without adding water.
6. Once fish is cooled down, separate its flesh from thorns and keep it aside.
7. Heat a sauté pan with 1 -2 tbsp of oil. Once oil is hot add chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
8. Add masala paste and saute till all water dries off.
9. Add salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida and mix well.
10. Add mackerel pieces and mix it. Cook it for 5 mins. Put off the stove and allow mixture to cool.
11. Make round cutlets from the mixture.
12. Coat both the sides with rava /semolina.
13. Heat oil in tawa/ flat pan with sufficient oil to shallow fry cutlets.
14. Fry both sides till it turns golden brown.
1. I have used medium size fish, you can use big size mackerels too.
2. Do not over cook the fish at the beginning, as it will be cooked in later stages too.
3. Add chili powder to masala, if you want it more spicy.
4. Add 1-2 tsp of gram flour if you cannot bind the patties.